Ergonomics and modular furniture

Subject: Ergonomics and modular furniture
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 13:20:49 -0600

Taking the ergonomics thread on another tanget--

We have modular Herman Miller "furniture" in our
offices. My ergonomics improved considerably recently
when I received a "corner unit"--a fairly triangular
piece (actually a 7-sided shape) that holds my monitor,
keyboard (I choose not to use a pullout drawer) and mouse.

The advantage over what I did before is having more
desk space adjacent to my mouse, allowing me to rest my
whole arm. In my old setup, I tended to reach out
to my mouse and pivot from the wrist, causing occasional
pains in my lower arm.

On the subject of eyestrain: I used to sit looking out
at trees and a pond--nice view, but the bright sunlight
behind my monitor made me strain to improve the contrast
on the screen. My new corner is basically against the
opposite wall from my window-wall. Trust me, poor contrast
is worse than glare.

I once asked a member (who was speaking on ergonomics at an
STC meeting) what to do in a situation where you have a
wall that is all window. She said to get a window shade.
I probably would if I could.

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com