Online help for DOS programs with HELPMAKE.EXE

Subject: Online help for DOS programs with HELPMAKE.EXE
From: Carl Stieren <ag231 -at- FREENET -dot- CARLETON -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 1994 11:48:22 -0400

Has anyone out there - LaVonna, Steve, Chuck, Charles, Andreas, anyone -
used HELPMAKE.EXE to compile a DOS help file that can be read by
QuickHelp or Microsoft Advisor Help?

We have a project for which I need to produce an online help file in
Windows help format (no problem, we've got W4W and RoboHelp) and one
in DOS help format using HELPMAKE.EXE (big problem!).

The DOS program for which we are going to provide this online help is
being ported to DOS from Windows using a tool called MEWEL (I'm not
joking!) from Magma Systems in New Jersey (their phone line is ALWAYS
busy).

Developers at Simware got me a copy of HELPMAKE.EXE, but the only
documentation we could find on it was Chapter 20 of the C++ "Environment
and Tools" book, "Creating Help Files with HELPMAKE". This chapter shows
you how to insert topic names (which it defines with ".context " statements,
but only tells you how to work with an .RTF source file which is being
read as an .RTF source file (with all the squiggly brackets and field codes
in native RTF).

I'd like to work on the source file for the help in Word for Windows, in Word
for Windows format, but their online help gives me zilch for PREPARING an
online help file.

HELP!!!!!

--
"When peace that passes understanding : Carl Stieren
reigns on earth and on the sea, : Simware, Inc. /Ottawa, Canada