Re: Politeness

Subject: Re: Politeness
From: Caryn Rizell <caryn -at- HPPTC44 -dot- ROSE -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 10:54:32 PDT

This is all very interesting. At a previous job, I finally convinced
the programmers to use less threatening language when referring
to errors (fatal, abort, illegal, etc.) I remember attending a
workshop at the STC conference in New York (I think) on writing
error messages. One thing that was stressed was making error
messages less scary.

I know that 'Abort' is pretty scary to me (especially when there
is usually no help available when you get that message).

We changed our error messages to say 'terminated' instead of
'abort' and just removed the usage of 'fatal' altogether.

For example, 'fatal error' became 'system error' (or whatever it
was). We also added some help into the error message telling the
user what might have caused the problem and how to fix it (reinput,
call customer support, etc.)

It wasn't really a matter of politeness, rather of just removing
a stress level for the customer when using the product.

Caryn Rizell
Tech Writing Contractor
caryn -at- hpptc44 -dot- rose -dot- hp -dot- com