Re: <Q> Degree in Computers, MM & Edu

Subject: Re: <Q> Degree in Computers, MM & Edu
From: Johndan Johnson-Eilola <johndan -at- CRAMER -dot- NMT -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 14:38:29 -0700

I had some email problems and missed the start of the discussion, but you
might want to look at the February 94 Issue of New Media. There's a section
on Careers in Multimeda, which has both an overview and a resource list
including schools with some sort of involvement in training multimedia
designers. The blurbs on the schools are short, but at least a starting
point.

In addition, you might contact Stuart Selber (sselber -at- mtu -dot- edu), who has an
essay and survey of the ways in which computer use is taught in graduate
programs in technical communication. The article itself might not have what
you need, but he may have gotten information from his survey that would be
useful to you.

Finally, although Steve's right in saying that MTU's program was designed
primarily as a MS & PhD in Rhetoric and Tech Comm, the program is open
enough to allow heavy concentrations in multimedia and instructional
computing (and they have a really nice computer lab--486s, Mac IIci's and
Quadras, lots of fun periperhals and software and an, um, "interesting"
decor and atmosphere, but that's another story). The program may be more
rhetorically/socially based than you want, but it's something to consider.
I have both MS and PhD's from the program, and almost every class or
research project I did involved hypertext, hypermedia, or some other
version of online text. (Just a plug for my alma mater.)

- Johndan

- Johndan Johnson-Eilola johndan -at- prism -dot- nmt -dot- edu
Humanities Department johndan -at- cramer -dot- nmt -dot- edu
New Mexico Tech 505/835-5200