So you want to be a tech writer...

Subject: So you want to be a tech writer...
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 13:46:28 EDT

> I've been doing live technical support for about six years now. I REALLY want
> to get into a technical writing position. The problem is, most tech writing
> positions require experience--the old Catch-22.

[...]

> However, whenever I check want ads, there are never entry-level positions.

> So, how does one get started in tech writing?

You build a portfolio that shows you know how to do the job. Since you're
in support now, start with that. Produce written instructions to
address common questions. Share those instructions with the tech
writers at your company, they're your friends, right? (if not, they
should be :-). Ask for feedback, tell 'em not to pull punches.

Talk to your manager about a career development plan that'll take you
toward a tech writing position with your current company. If you're
good, they'll want to keep you in whatever capacity they can.

Don't be deterred by positions that ask for experience. Write
a strong cover letter that explains why tech support experience is
an asset for a tech writer, and include some writing samples that
show you know what you're doing. Make these samples *look* professional,
as well as *read* that way, and try to choose samples that are short
enough that they'll get looked at.

Have a tech writer you trust look over your samples and critique them.

Attend an STC meeting or two.

Try contracting on the side for a small start-up company that isn't
so fussy about experience. Bid a flat rate (so that the company isn't
paying for your on-the-job training).

Work for free for a non-profit or charity that needs something written.

Look for a job with a company that needs both a support person *and*
a tech writer, and see if you can get in that way.

Just a few ideas...

kkh
Kelly K. Hoffman kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division "Reading the manual is
One Tara Blvd., Nashua, NH 03062 admitting defeat."