Re: Why programmers are user-unfriendly...

Subject: Re: Why programmers are user-unfriendly...
From: Mike Pope <mikep -at- ASYMETRIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 12:29:00 PDT

Fred Jacobson / Boole & Babbage writes:

>Sure, I've known my share of
>arrogant, self-absorbed programmers who thought they knew what was
>good for the users and couldn't be bother with anyone else's
>opinion. [...] we can work _with_ the programmers instead
>of blaming them.

While I enjoy programmer-bashing as much as the next non-programmer,
I have to agree. We have lots of programmers at this shop, and I find that:

* Some of them solicit advice from writers about UI, about vocabulary,
and about how a feature will impact docs.
* Some of them communicate alacritously information about changes
in their work that affects documentation.
* Some of them maintain accurate, up-to-date specs.
* Some of them are very interested in the presentation of information
to the
point of bringing in samples of docs they like.
* Some of them are fine writers themselves.

Interestingly, there's no necessary overlap between these categories. For
example,
the programmer here who thinks the most about how to present information and

how to lay out books isn't very good about letting us know how things are
changing.

My general observation is that programmers are willing to listen to writers
and
take their advice to the extent that this courtesy is likewise extended to
them,
and perhaps more importantly, that the programmers respect the writers. If
you
know what you're talking about, they'll listen. Of course, getting them to
believe
that you know what you're talking about can be a chore sometimes, but it's
part
of that full-time job of establishing and maintaining credibility.

-- Mike Pope
mikep -at- asymetrix -dot- com