Disk vs. disc

Subject: Disk vs. disc
From: Jack Shaw <jsh -at- SOFTWARE-AG -dot- DE>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 09:18:09 MEZ

Because you asked and should have known better...

Following the hallowed rule of consistency, I've used
"disk" all over the place ("disk space", "disk drive",
and so on). Now, if you look at Fowler's English Usage,
it claims "disc" is the more modern usage, replacing
"disk". But Fowler has been doing this so long that
I'd bet he's remembering something like "slipped disc"
or the like. And since I don't have Fowler's American
(sniff) Usage (it and "Mein Kampf" are banned here...),
I can't cite colonial sources.

But it's just so neat to makle the phonetically pleasing
transition from "disk" to the lower life form, "diskette"
instead of rationalizing "disc" to "disckette" or "disquette"
or some such. Besides, one of these days someone will
want to open a chain of stores where you can rent CDs
for non-copying purposes, and they might want to call
them "Disc-o-Take" and so should remain separate and
distinct from our exalted contexts...

But be exaltingly consistent, whatever you do, OK?

Now, more importantly, why is there a magic marker in
my half-filled coffee cup...I've always used a spoon
in the past...?

JSH bids ado (about nothing, as usual...)