Re: promotion vs. pa...

Subject: Re: promotion vs. pa...
From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 08:25:08 -0500

"Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" (what a kick) addresses my pay actions:
>********************
>(Fortunately, my next two performance reviews were tied to hefty, hefty
>raises. Funny what saying, "Pay me, or I'll go a company that will", can
>sometimes do for your bank account.)
>********************

>Hmmm.... You're either in a much stronger position than most writers or you
>have a the gift of true diplomacy. (Defined somewhere as: "The ability to tell
>a man to go to hell in such a nice way he looks forward to the trip.")

>Most managers hate to be threatened (just like most employees) and the
>response to a straight "Pay me or walk" option is often "OK, walk." At a
>minimum, this strategy carries the risk of either looking stupid if you can't
>execute your threat or permanently poisioning a relationship that *must* work
>in the future.

You're right, of course. I didn't fill you in on the details, though.
1. I had a boss who really appreciated and respected that sort of no-BS
bullheadedness. Weird, but true. 2. I really *did* have somewhere else
to go, and my boss knew it, so I wasn't bluffing.

With my current boss, there's NO way in HECK I'd pull that. Different kind
of manager, different kind of approach.

Peace,
jim grey
--
jim grey |beebeebumbleandthestingersmottthehoopleraycharlessingers
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com |lonniemackandtwangin'eddiehere'smyringwe'regoingsteadyta