Seminars and Salaries

Subject: Seminars and Salaries
From: MSTSACX -at- GSUVM1 -dot- BITNET
Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 09:20:59 EDT

I'm a few days behind in my e-mail--but the thread about the $5,000
job seminars certainly turned my head, as did the statement that
seminars in the computer industry go for about $1,000 a day?

Says who?

This thread indicates the importance of knowing what things cost. The average
cost of seminars in industry today ranges from $100 to $400 per person per day.
The variation arises from the nature of the subject (the more common,
the less expensive), the reputation of the instructor and the provider
(the better the reputation, the higher the fee), and other similar
factors. Don't take my word for it--check the catalogs of most training
companies.

By the same token, Bonni's initial comment that she did not know what her
skills were worth emphasizes the importance of knowing the value of your
skill. STC salary surveys--both Society-level and regional--provide this
information. (The $85 investment in membership is a heck of a lot cheaper
than a $5,000 seminar.) Also check other industry surveys to verify your
understanding--then determine whether you want to be a low-cost or a high-cost
provider.

In a service industry, talking about "what things cost" sometimes sounds
like a taboo subject. In other times, it seems like some sort of magic,
as if the numbers are pulled out of thin air and manufactured. The truth
is that the numbers do exist, but we must make an extra effort to find them.

That's why I emphasize the importance of what things cost in the
seminars and courses I teach. As Marcy Syms says in the Syms commercial
(a clothing chain that has an outlet here in Atlanta): "An educated
consumer is our best customer."

"
Saul Carliner Ph.D. Student
Instructional Technology Geo. State Univ.
Note new userid----> mstsacx -at- gsuvm1 -dot- gsu -dot- edu 404/892-3945