response to FrameMaker comments

Subject: response to FrameMaker comments
From: "Life is like a sled dog team, if you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes" <flanagan -at- TVDRS -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 May 1994 13:28:02 EDT

Just some responses to comments about FrameMaker:

Date: Wed, 4 May 1994 11:16:49 EDT
From: "Barbara J. Philbrick" <burkbrick -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Subject: Re: Ventura Redux

4. File lookup takes a while to get used to - I'm a DOS/Windows
person, and I think Frame is using Unix standards; directory names
appear after the file names.

>>>I don't understand what you mean by this? I am running DOS version
and I don't see where the directory names are after the file names?

5. Frame uses Word/Pagemaker standards for templates - each document
has a separate stylesheet/template. This is difficult for me to get used to;
usually I'm making changes that should affect all of the documents
using the stylesheet.

>>>Not sure what you are trying to say exactly, but I use a master style
file and make all of my style changes in that file. I then use the
Import > Formats feature to apply the style file to each of my chapters.
Or you could make the changes in the files themselves.

7. Spell checker needs some work - it doesn't have an obvious skip
option. For instance, occasionally I have two words in a row that need to be
that way, and you have to select Continue (if I remember correctly) to skip
it.

>>>Under options you could turn off repeated words. Then it would skip
those repeated words for you.

8. Frame uses reference and master pages, which are OK, but take some
getting used to. However, they also have a reference pages feature, but it
didn't work as I expected it to - I couldn't put drawings I was using
throughout the document in this.

>>>If you want graphics to display on every page or certain types of
pages, you would put the graphic on the master page - not the
reference page. The reference page is for rules and to define index
and TOC stuff.

13. Fractions are difficult, if not impossible, to achieve (to
paraphrase from Lyle Lovett). You have to "microposition" numbers to
get them into fraction form.

>>>I would think that the Equation editor would do fractions.

Version 4.0 was a memory hog. I couldn't even get it to run on my
386/25 with 16mg of memory. We had to do a lot of fiddling to get it
to run. It runs really fast though on my 486/66 with 16mg.

I just installed the upgrade to 4.0. We have a different machine at home now
- a 486/33 and the upgraded version runs a bit faster.

A big monitor is a must!

Hope to meet some of you at the Welcome Reception. Come to table 101A
at the networking lunch for a discussion of multiplatform information
sets and to my progression on Weds. at 10:00 on the same subject.

Ruth-Ellen Flanagan
flanagan -at- nurse -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com