Re: Friendly Fonts

Subject: Re: Friendly Fonts
From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- DEATH -dot- KALEIDA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 May 1994 10:52:40 +0800

>In article <9405041125 -dot- tn136211 -at- aol -dot- com>, burkbrick -at- aol -dot- com writes:

>> I'm working on a document for in-house use that is allowed to be humorous,
>> and should at least be friendly. Right now, I'm using a boring old Times
>> Roman typeface, but I'm thinking about going to ITC Souvenir (Corel
>> Southern). To my eye, it looks friendlier because it's got rounder edges than
>> a standard times roman.

I have two suggestions: New Century Schoolbook was designed for children's
books -- its nice and round and friendly, not to mention quite readable.
And it also has the advantage of being available to nearly everyone; all
print shops and laserwriters generally have it.

My favourite font family right now is the Adobe Stone series; they are quite
well designed, very readable, and modern-looking. And the advantage
of Stone is that all the styles in the family are designed to work together:
the Serifs go naturally with the San Serifs. Stone Familiar, in particular,
might be worth looking into.

Someone else mentioned Palatino; well, I'll shrug and say OK, but in
my experience Palatino has become "the new Times." Everyone seems to
be using it for body text nowadays. I think I've written several
thousand pages in Palatino. :)

Of course, there's nothing WRONG with a popular font; there's a good
reason why Times Roman and its ilk have survived this long.

Laura
font weenie

lemay -at- kaleida -dot- com