Re: standard units of measure in EOR

Subject: Re: standard units of measure in EOR
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 May 1994 12:59:40 -0500

Michele,
My work also involves the oil and gas industry. For some
standardization on such matters, my dept. long ago decided to
defer to the _SPE (Society of Petroleum Engineers) Publications
Style Guide._

The Guide is free to members of SPE. (Find an SPE member and
borrow his or her membership number or have him/her order it.)
Here is the address:
Society of Petroleum Engineers, Inc, PO Box 833836, Richardson,
Texas 75083-3836. 214/669-3377

It is a little handbook. It is not a complete manual of style,
but a good reference for solving problems such as the proper
spelling of certain things. For example, SPE style dictates that
"oil well" is proper for a noun, but "oilwell" is proper for use
as an adjective.

In answer to your question...
standard cubic feet per day is scf/D

a captal M is standard for million in these abbreviations, so
one million standard cubic feet per day is Mscf/D

If you have any other specific questions before you get your own
Guide, send me a message.

LaVonna Funkhouser
Halliburton Energy Services
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com