Two spaces good, one space bad

Subject: Two spaces good, one space bad
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Sun, 8 May 1994 09:47:22 IDT

what is the purpose
of cutting down on the spaces between sentences?

** Eliminating unsightly vertical rivers of white space, supposedly; but
if you're setting something wider than a newspaper column and
you're not trying to right-justify unhyphenated text, that's
unlikely to be a problem. I'm more comfortable with two spaces
than with one, myself. I think there's been too much side-influence
from graphic designers who don't have to read what they've
typeset and from word-processor programmers who can't automatically
differentiate the period at the end of an abbreviation from the
period at the end of a sentence.

Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- dcl-see -dot- co -dot- il
SEE Technologies Ltd. | Voice: +972-9-584684, ext. 230 (work),
Box 544 | +972-9-552411 (home)
46105 Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-543917
"This week, as you know, we'll be focusing a large part of the
President's time on crime." -- Dee Dee Myers, 11 Apr 94