What did you bring that so-called string of prepositions up for?

Subject: What did you bring that so-called string of prepositions up for?
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Sun, 8 May 1994 16:59:20 IDT

the longest fun string of prepositions
I've seen is a complaint from a small child at bedtime:

"Daddy, what did you bring that book I don't like
to be read to out of down for?
-- --- -- ---- ---

** Fun? Sure. Prepositions? Well...

"Out of" could be called either an adverb plus a preposition or
a single two-word preposition, but "down" is definitely
an adverb. It's not "down the stairs," it's not
"down the bayou," it's just "down" without an object.

And can there be a preposition without an object?
As Shakespeare would have said, "Go to!"

Mark L. Levinson mark -at- dcl-see -dot- co -dot- il
SEE Technologies, Box 544, fax +972-9-543917
46105 Herzlia, Israel voice +972-9-584684, ext. 230