Re: Acronyms and "the" Article

Subject: Re: Acronyms and "the" Article
From: "David L. Bergart" <bodafu -at- CCVAX -dot- SINICA -dot- EDU -dot- TW>
Date: Sun, 8 May 1994 12:39:33 +0800

In article <re_allen -at- pnl -dot- gov> writes:

>How about using "the" with initialisms & acronyms when you would
>have used it with the spelled out phrase? Like:

>I work for the Department of Energy. (I don't; it's an example)
>I work for the DOE.
>I work for DOE.

>I prefer the last version, without "the."
>It does feel better to use "the" when the acronym is an adjective:
> I work at the DOE site.

>Does anyone know of a rule? Does anyone have an opinion? Does
>anyone care?

>Bob Allen

I prefer to include 'the' when writing. In general, I treate acronyms
as though they were expanded -- the only exception is that I select 'a'/'an'
depending on whether the acronym is usually spoken as a sequence of letters or
is expanded into words. I do, however, get enough flack about pluralization of
acronmyms that I may stop the vile habit. Or retire.

David

David L. Bergart bodafu -at- ccvax -dot- sinica -dot- edu -dot- tw bodafu -at- TWNAS886 -dot- bitnet
Copy oddity^h^h^h^h^h^heditor, Botanical Bulletin of Academia Sinica, Taiwan