Re: Mickey's shorts

Subject: Re: Mickey's shorts
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 10:27:19 PDT

Jim Grey writes (in response to my statement about assuming the
user is intelligent):

>Can you assume that the user knows the terminal's configuration when
>he sits down? We can't. Some of our customers have "corporate" setups
>for their stuff, which may run more than just our software, and we end
>up having to roll with that. This is why I have to jump through the hoops
>I described in my last post on this matter.

We can't, really, either. But luckily for us, most of our really big
clients have their own support and admin departments specifically
for our software, and they tell their users how they've configured
everything. And most of our users are pretty technical.

But I like your mouse-button-labeling solution
better than ours (I've never been satisfied with the "MB" labels).
It also provides a way to check whether the software behaves
consistently where mouse buttons are concerned, since you're labeling
them by functional category.

Thanks for breaking us out of the left-right, 1-2 rut and giving us
a new way to look at things!

Would you mind if I try your convention?

Faith Weber
EA Systems Inc.
weber -at- easi -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com