Re: Where do you look for books on tech writing?

Subject: Re: Where do you look for books on tech writing?
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 10:47:25 PDT

I go to the counter and ask for the book I'm looking for. I do
that because, after many prior attempts, I can't figure out where
the bookstore puts these books, and half the time the staff isn't
sure where to look, either. :-)

I lean toward putting tech writing books in the Business Writing
section, or as Maria suggests, in a Business and Technical Writing
section. However, I'd be satisfied if they'd just put all the
writing books in the writing section, assuming that there are
subcategories for creative writing, journalism, tech writing, etc.
I wouldn't want to have to wade through all the books on all other
types of writing to search for a tech writing book by author, for
example, but I wouldn't mind the mere proximity of other kinds of
writing books if the ones on tech writing were all in one place!

Another question: what about books on interface design and online
help? Where do they go? (They don't always seem to end up in the
software section, but where else would they be?)

Faith Weber
EA Systems Inc.
weber -at- easi -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com