Re: Corruption of Language

Subject: Re: Corruption of Language
From: Dean Elzinga <elzinga -at- INFERENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 12:39:41 PDT

> From: Paula Steinhart <psteinha -at- CYMBAL -dot- AIX -dot- CALPOLY -dot- EDU>

> mrs. mcglashin, in my 8th grade english, said it is and there are (is)
> are passive structures. if she siad so, it's got to be.

Our 8th grade teachers are corrupting us more than the passive voice
ever did. :-)

> seriously, i do believe we corrupt through language. so many sununus
> manipulate the passive for their personal goals--the trend is away
> from the personal (i did so and so) to a vague, unidentified 3rd
> person. i feel strongly that tech writing needs to involce more 1st
> person.]
> involvement. what say you? paula

If I am corrupted by the passive voice, my hat will be eaten by me.

Language IS. Go ahead and try to eliminate the passive voice. Knock
down a few windmills while you're at it. Stamp out the evils of
hopefully, utilize and irregardless. Complain if you think people
have ruined the word gay. Everyone pick up HIS pencil. Sure. :-)

Tech writing needs more first person? "Since I'm writing this manual
for you, I hope very much that you will read it cover to cover." I'm
guessing that you really mean that tech writing needs more active,
direct language. I agree.

As for the rest of the language, you can't control it. The best you
can do is understand it. Know your audience, and write to achieve
your goals. In tech writing, the goals are clear communication and a
good impression of the product. Tech writing won't change the world,
but it might create value and earn us a decent living.

In the meantime, don't confuse tech writing trade tips with moral
imperatives.

--
dean elzinga my light-hearted opinion only