Re: Using commas in lists

Subject: Re: Using commas in lists
From: Dean Elzinga <elzinga -at- INFERENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 01:11:54 PDT

Why would anyone need justification NOT to use the last comma, other
than precedent and editor's okay? One good reason is the 20th-century
trend toward less punctuation. Being taught in grade school actually
seems like a pretty good reason, since it would seem to reflect an
established precedent. Either that or grade-school teachers formed a
cabal to wickedly eliminate the last comma from the language.

All we need for justification is enough people who say it's okay.

--Dean