book-need your help

Subject: book-need your help
From: Frederick Levy <frederic -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 May 1994 18:00:43 -0700

I am currently working on a compilation of letters to be published in
book form, and I am looking for submissions. These are not "real"
letters -- rather, I am using a letter format as a way of allowing
writers to address the doctor/patient relationships that they have
experienced. The focus of the book is not medical treatment, but the
interpersonal relationship between patients and doctors -- and how good
or bad treatment of this kind can affect state of mind, and subsequently
health.

Example of format:

Dear Dr. X:

Thank you so much for going above and beyond the call of duty following
my car accident. While two previous doctors had ignored my questions
about soft tissue damage and thrust prescriptions into my hands before I
had a chance to describe my symptoms, you listened carefully to every
question I had and seemed generally concerned with my well-being. Even
though I know you had other patients to see, you did not rush me, etc...

Letters must be detailed and true stories, 1 to 5 pages in length. Tell us:

* What your illness/ailment/problem was
* What your state of mind was during and prior to the visit
* What the health professional said to you
* Why you thought it was appropriate/inappropriate
* The health professional's behavior -- was he/she late? friendly? a good
listener? rude?
* How that behavior affected you emotionally afterwards -- were you
hurt? pleased? relieved?
* How that behavior affected your behavior -- did you decide not to get
the prescription filled? Did you seek a second opinion? Did you give up
hope or take action? Did this experience affect your health in any way?

I am especially interested in letters from people who have HIV or AIDS,
women, minorities, and people with low incomes. I am also interested in
stories from people who may not have been patients but were affected by
someone else's illness -- if you are the parent of a sick child or ailing
parent, for example.

While I still need submissions that are both positive and negative, I am
especially in need of positive letters.

While letters must remain anonymous, contributors will be acknowledged in
the front of the book. A percentage of the proceeds will go to charity
-- please name your preferred charity when you make a submission, as well
as you name and address.

Please respond electronically to frederic -at- netcom -dot- com and use "letter" as
the subject of your message. Thankyou.

Lee