Noun clusters

Subject: Noun clusters
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 09:56:10 IDT

To understand noun strings, you have to read them
backwards, i.e., from right to left. I know of no other time in the English
language when that happens.

** Long, cumulative, periodic, suspense-building adjective strings.

(Anyone hear Jack Paar's remark about Michael Jackson? "Why would
a poor black boy want to become a rich white lady?" In a language
that puts the adjectives after the noun, that crack would lose
most of its impact. And I'm using it only as a syntactical example,
friends. I love all races, sexes, musics, economic strata, and
funny walks.)

Mark L. Levinson mark -at- dcl-see -dot- co -dot- il
SEE Technologies, Box 544, fax +972-9-509118
46105 Herzlia, Israel voice +972-9-507102, ext. 230