Computers aren't hammers (more on passives)

Subject: Computers aren't hammers (more on passives)
From: Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 14:02:26 PDT

I don't think this hammer analogy stands up. A computer program is our
tool, but a bit more complicated than a hammer.

Compare:

"When you feed a board into a table saw, the saw divides the board into
two segemnts."

I didn't divide it. Me *seeing* it wasn't the important event -- matter
of fact, it would have happened whether I saw it or not. With a
computer, if it was some complex process, I might not even stick around
to *see* whatever milestone the writer needs to mention. When the
program is done, it displays the Blotz window.

Speaking of paying attention, would you say, "If you let your hand
follow the board into the saw, you will see it start to bleed?" or " .
. . you will make it bleed?"

Nope -- it's a complex tool, and the most intuitive way to speak about it
is to recognize what the tool does, under our guidance. The saw will
cut the object.

Arthur Comings

GeoQuest
Corte Madera, California
atc -at- corte-madera -dot- geoquest -dot- slb -dot- com

/ The user is the agent. Compare "the hammer hit the nail".