beginner seeks info

Subject: beginner seeks info
From: "Andrew J. English" <aenglish -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 11:13:10 -0700

Subject: advice needed for beginner
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.techwr-l
I am looking for advice on how to strengthen my
qualifications in applying for a first-time
technical writing job. I am a member of the STC
chapter in Phoenix. I have a bachelor's degree
in physics, plus 30 hours graduate work in physics
and math, 1 semester of journalism-newswriting,
1 semester of journalism-producing the small pub-
lication, 1 semester of desktop publishing, about
6 years experience using Pagemaker and Microsoft
Word on the Mac, have put together newsletters
for several nonprofit groups, and recently was
published in the local business weekly with a
freelance story on women entrepreneurs in high-
tech industries.
My question is, what else should I do to get
considered for a entry-level job?
The university here does not offer any courses
in technical writing, but I did some research
and found out that the University of Illinois at
Urbana, University of Wisconsin at Madison, and
University of Washington in Seattle all offer
correspondence courses in technical writing.
Does anyone have any experience with college
courses in technical writing? Are they worthwhile?
What should I look for in comparing different
programs?
Please reply to this mailing list or email me
at aenglish -at- crl -dot- com
Thanks.