Re: A Friday query

Subject: Re: A Friday query
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 12:54:26 -0400

Margaret Gerard posts a funky query:

> Some time back, someone (maybe Matthew Abe) posted some info
> on things to do in Minneapolis during the conference. In
> describing a particular area he said something like:
> "There are lots of funky restaurants there."

> I noticed the "funky" and thought it was a bit strange - I
> didn't know what he meant but, since I wasn't going to the
> conference, I didn't ask.

> Today a post has come from Karla McMaster saying:
> "But the writer can't make a funky product look good,..."

[...]

Here's what my "xwebster" shows for funky.

1funky \'fe{nj}-ke^-\
(1837)
:being in a state of funk: PANICKY

2funky adj funk-i-er; -est
[funk (offensive odor)]
(1899)
1: having an offensive odor: FOUL
2: having an earthy unsophisticated style and feeling; esp: having
the style and feeling of blues <funky piano playing>
3: odd or quaint in appearance or style
-- funk-i-ness n

I'd say that among all of the meanings (and I was surprised there were
so many), all of the uses of the word you included seem valid.

|Len Olszewski, Project Manager | "Not everyone who snores is |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| sleeping." - Source Unknown |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|