Re: Degreed and insulted

Subject: Re: Degreed and insulted
From: "Christopher Levesque (MCOM)" <levesque -at- LUNA -dot- CAS -dot- USF -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 14:13:56 -0400

I'm currently in my first position as a "technical writer" (actually it's
just for the summer), and after reading a few of the posts about the
debate over degrees, I checked my school's degree program out. I found
that the University of South Florida's bachelor's in technical writing
leaves a lot to be desired. There are no technically oriented classes
required, and half of the course work is strictly in the area of
literature. If students wantd technically oriented classwork, they
usually have to get special permission from the College of Engineering or
the College of Business Administration.

Luckily, I am not one of the poor indivduals stuck in this program, and
have some technical background. From what I have seen in my admittedly
brief experience is that, at least in the Tampa area, technical writing
positions area relatively well-paid and employers don't care what your
degree is in as long as you can write fairly well, and have an adequate
technical background.

Chris Levesque
levesque -at- luna -dot- cas -dot- usf -dot- edu