Re: Your opinions again, please

Subject: Re: Your opinions again, please
From: "David L. Bergart" <bodafu -at- CCVAX -dot- SINICA -dot- EDU -dot- TW>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 16:11:41 +0800

Well...since you asked...

When suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com wrote that

>Neither hardware nor software may own anything.
>No possessive required/permitted.

I was overcome with righteous indignation, but when I stopped foaming at
the mouth I decided to respond thus:

Hi Sue

Yup, but things can be associated with them, and we do use the
possessive form to express association -- my country, my children (neither of
which I own). What's wrong with using the possessive form to express
association with an inanimate?

David

bodafu -at- ccvax -dot- sinica -dot- edu -dot- tw