Re: Repetition in hypertext

Subject: Re: Repetition in hypertext
From: "David L. Bergart" <bodafu -at- CCVAX -dot- SINICA -dot- EDU -dot- TW>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 20:59:32 +0800

John Endicott <jendicot -at- nyx -dot- cs -dot- du -dot- edu> wrote

>I'd like to somehow signal the "unique" information on each [Winhelp] card,
>so userswho have already read 90 percent of the info can find the remaining
>10%without a lot of hunting. Any ideas on how I can highlight this
>information?

Hi John

In the context of hypertext, where there are many routes to each page of
information, you would need a dynamic system to determine which information is
new to *this* reader *this* time. If you arrive at ABC from ABD, then C is
new, but if you arrive from ACD, then D is new. Winhelp provides a history of
the path, but I'm not aware of anyway to control the runtime coloration or
icons based on this history. This sounds like an 'opportunity' for the
Winhelp-L.

David

bodafu -at- ccvax -dot- sinica -dot- edu -dot- tw