Related/Unrelated degrees for writers

Subject: Related/Unrelated degrees for writers
From: Valarie <TASSARI -at- CGI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 11:09:28 -0400

>>Sally Marquigny <SALLYM -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com> writes:

>>It might be interesting to see which degrees we DO have represented here &
>>how many of them are in apparently unrelated fields...

I have a B.S. in Elementary Education. Unfortunately, when I graduated
from college, school enrollment was down, layoffs took place, and I was
able to relocate for personal reasons. So, teaching became an impossible
reality (substitute teaching is a drain -- financially and motivationally)
and the school loan had to be paid.

To make a long story short, I stumbled into a position with Carnegie
Group, Inc. (CGI) and worked my way into the tech writing position I
currently hold. This happened after 7 years of learning about high
technology and CGI's products from an administrative view. During this
7 year period, I was able to develop my writing skills by creating
computing environment documents to be used internally by new hires.

I have been writing *officially* for 3 years. In addition to writing the
user documentation, I am responsible for the graphics, aided with the
design of the new look for our documentation to be implemented this year,
and I coordinate the release process for our product (from spec through
product delivery). I have to add that the hiring manager approached me to
take this position (after some prompting by the departing tech writer).
Thank you, Elly, wherever you are...

So, how does my degree help me? I know how to communicate (although my
training was for a very different group of individuals). I understand the
psychology of development and thought processes. I have been prepared to
methodically teach any subject in the elementary school setting. And isn't
writing technical documents teaching afterall?

Val Tassari
Carnegie Group, Inc.
tassari -at- cgi -dot- com