IBM and Apple (was: Re: Portfolios)

Subject: IBM and Apple (was: Re: Portfolios)
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 11:58:12 EDT

Jane Torpie wrote:
>At some critical point in a project, some of the technical people from Apple
>(a group that was based in Silicon Valley) had to meet with IBM. IBM folks
>stereotypically wear blue suits with white shirts and conservative ties; they
>reportedly appear really uptight. What to wear?

>The Apple guys wore blue suits and bare feet.

I heard a somewhat similar story about the first time Applers and IBMers met,
for a project they were going to be together on for a loong time (it was one
of those joint projects, like Kaleida or Taligent). In an effort to get
off on the right foot, the Apple folks showed up in suits, only to find
the IBMers looking desperately uncomfortable in shorts and T-shirts.

As a note, though, in my two years here at Big Blue the dress code has
gone from suit and tie (albeit neither blue nore conservative) to jeans
and T-shirt. Now I only wear the suit for weddings and funerals (which is
as it should be, IMHO). Of course, your dress code mileage may vary,
depending on location, and exposure to customers. Lou Gerstner still wears
a tie...

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: I'm speaking on my own behalf, not on behalf of my employer.