Re: The Last Word on Degrees :-)

Subject: Re: The Last Word on Degrees :-)
From: Rikki Nyman <nymanr -at- TRG -dot- TRGLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 16:23:52 -0700

After Arlen wrote:

...after which I will again attempt to let this dragon I roused go back to
sleep...

I had to toss my own opinion into the stew. Your "dragon" is rather like a
child, it came from you, but it is not yours. Certainly the subject is
intense because there are two schools of thought and both are valid.

A degree is not a certificate of worth as a human being. It does not confer
intelligence, logic or ethics. It doesn't indicate ability to learn or
intellectual agility. It is not an absolute gauge of determination or will.

It took me twenty years to complete my degree (B.S. History). I spent 19 of
those years like Zonker from Doonesbury as a perennial senior. I was
articulate, well-educated (a by-product of classroom and self-study) and
capable of doing whatever I chose. I didn't think that having a degree
would substantially improve my lot in life.

I ultimately decided to complete my degree. I juggled working full time,
raising two kids (alone) and taking two full terms of course work over a
period of six months. (It would have been so much simpler before the kids!)
It was like a rite of passage for which I guess I was very late, but that
degree made a huge difference in how seriously I was taken by those in a
position to hire me when I was looking for a job.

There is room for the self-educated, "self-made man", BUT I would rather not
see education, however it is accomplished, diminished in any way. My
experience is that the "paper" is valuable and I can only see it growing in
importance as we move into a more and more technologically volatile future.
And I'm not done yet.

I am putting my soapbox away now. Thanks. :-)

rikki