Re: The Last Word on Degrees :-)

Subject: Re: The Last Word on Degrees :-)
From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 08:05:45 -0500

Now, Beth, you should *know* nothing is *ever* the last word here:
I think it was Karen Kay who spoke of "determination" in people who
have degrees, and I think that is the thing that can separate me from
some nondegreed people. (Notice, please, I say "some.") Often, when
a college educated person is chosen over someone who is not, this is
the reason, I think. A lot of nondegreed people resent this, but
sometimes an employer has no other way of knowing. And determination
is an important factor because it can mean the difference between a
good employee and an all right employee.

My dad, a non-degreed person, has ended up in hiring-manager positions with
almost every company he's worked for. His years of experience hiring folks
led him to this statement to me at one time when I was toying with taking a
year off college:

"You stick with this, and get it done in four years, and you'll have something
very important on your resume: an item that says you can start a difficult
task and complete it in the time it takes."

So, in short, you're right, Beth!

jim
--
jim grey |"Ain't nothin' better in the world, you know
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com |Than lyin' in the sun, listenin' to the radio" - D. Boone