Re: Resume fonts

Subject: Re: Resume fonts
From: Karen Steele <karen -at- BILBO -dot- SUITE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 11:37:45 -0500

> I have
> heard of other criteria for making the "first cut." When Bonnie described
> the environment she was working in at the time, you can understand why she
> dropped a resume as soon as she saw a negative. If she still came out with
> six people to interview, I guess that method's as good as any.

At the risk of becoming flame bait, I must admit that as a hiring manager I
generally cut resumes that were not ordered chronologically. The reason: I
attended a resume workshop that stressed the best way to handle "problems" in
your resume is to do a "functional" resume. My feeling was/is that the cover
letter is the place for functional highlights -- the resume is where I was
looking
for job experience.

Of course, I also cut resumes w/ bad grammar, spelling & typos -- because I
thought that meant the writer didn't proof their own work. (I always try to get
multiple writers to proof any new version of my resume.) I didn't count off for
fonts, production values or typewritten resumes -- I just assumed these folks
were preparing their resumes at home & didn't have the equipment. (Some
people have equipment -- others have children -- or so I'm told.)

What do others look for?

Karen Steele
(no children, lots of toys...)