The Trouble with Pride and More Ridiculousness

Subject: The Trouble with Pride and More Ridiculousness
From: "Vollbach, Elizabeth" <evollbach -at- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 09:28:17 PST

In the past I have commented on the ridiculousness of certain TECHWR-L
strings. Here's another. Picking on someone for his LITTLE note of
pride in his race, sex, and sexual preference, then actually getting
silly about it, e.g., saying that his pride in his heterosexuality
might imply that he struggles with homosexual inclinations, is
ridiculous.

For example, I have a Canadian friend who has lived in the U.S. for
many years, married a U.S. citizen, and has two children who are U.S.
citizens. I asked him why he didn't just become a U.S. citizen,
himself, so he could vote in U.S. elections. He told me he was proud
to be Canadian. Would you take that to mean he's glad he's not a U.S.
citizen? I didn't. I think it would have been ridiculous of me to
have assumed that.