Re: (tangent) "Click" or "click on" the GUI button?

Subject: Re: (tangent) "Click" or "click on" the GUI button?
From: Philip Borenstein <philip -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 1994 20:06:32 GMT

Ken d'Albenas <kendal -at- autotrol -dot- cuc -dot- ab -dot- ca> writes:

>When an application has on-screen "buttons" (or "icons") that the
>user can trigger with a mouse click, which do you write:

> (a) "Click on the <icon_name> button."
> or
> (b) "Click the <icon_name> button?"

Apple's Publications Style Guide (Feb 1994) says to use the form
"Click the Destroy Jupiter' button"
or
"Click Revert to age backwards"

They recommend not using "click on," but give no reason. I assume it jars
the metaphor.

The phrase "click in" is reserved for clicks in specific regions--scroll
bars, title bars, grow boxes, etc.

The word "press" is reserved for buttons in the real world. ("Press the
mouse button.")

--philip.
philip -at- world -dot- std -dot- com