Info on Information Mapping

Subject: Info on Information Mapping
From: "Nicole J. Burton" <nburton -at- FDIC -dot- GOV>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 1994 10:57:10 +6816

Response for info on Information Mapping (without wanting to sound like a
commercial) ...

Information Mapping is a copyrighted, structured approach to writing
documentation, reports, memos, and almost any type of written communication
except creative writing such as fiction, plays, etc.

In a nutshell, the IM method shows that almost all information can be divided
into procedures (Ps) and knowledge (Ks), as well as be classified into seven
different information types. Each information type can be best handled in
particular ways, for example, describing Structure information can be best
described by using diagrams, parts tables, parts-function tables, and
description.

The IM method uses a lot of tables (particularly for procedures), white
space, and ruling lines. In general, the suggested formats give the reader
the ability to skip and scan easily through the material to fine exactly what
they want. Because of this approach, it is well suited for adaption to
online communication methods.

There's a lot to it (and I'm scarcely an expert), but so far, I've found it
very useful and I'm eager to get more training in it. IM also has a whole
ISO 9XXX training program, which I don't know anything about.

To contact Information Mapping, call 1-800-MAP-4544. They're located in
Waltham, MA.

Regards,
NBurton -at- FDIC -dot- gov