Re: References

Subject: Re: References
From: Kristina Guiney <KGUINEY -at- MELMAC -dot- BITNET>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 15:58:20 -0400

On Tue, 14 Jun 1994, Doug, Data Librarian wrote:

> a shocker in the present environment. However, company policy prohibits
> managers from giving any information concerning former employees to outside
> sources, except to confirm the dates of employment. So at some point in
> the future, I'll hit the job market with this big black hole over some of
> my best work; portfolio samples, my version of events, but no confirmation.
> I understand this is becoming more common because of liability concerns.

In my experience, (and, unfortunately, I've had a lot due to downsizing
and bankruptcies!) more and more potential employers are asking for
"peer" references, that is, people I've worked with directly on projects
(for example, the product developers/programmers, QA staff, etc.; those
creating/reviewing the product which I'm documenting). The interviewers
indicated that they wanted to get a feel for how I worked in team
environments, how I culled information, how useful my documentation was,
etc. I have also given past supervisors as references, as none of them
(currently) are prohibited from giving more than dates of employment and
salary.

As Doug indicated, however, once I'm hired, I'll ask my references if
anyone had contacted them . . . the answer is always rarely, if ever.

Kristie Guiney Burlington Coat Factory
kristina -dot- guiney -at- coat -dot- com Burlington, New Jersey