References

Subject: References
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 17:10:08 IDT

A curious pattern appears in my admittedly limited experience as a
referee. Every time I have (with great inner torment) given a
reference that is less than 100% positive, the candidate has passed
successfully to at least the next stage of recruitment. Could it
be that the honesty I exhibit in mentioning something negative gives
greater weight to the overall positive balance of my opinion, or that
I overcompensate for the smidgen of negativism by overemphasizing
the candidate's positive features, or simply that nobody believes me?

Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il
Summit EDA Technologies | Voice: +972-9-507102, ext. 230 (work),
Box 544 | +972-9-552411 (home)
46105 Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-509118
"You can't judge right by looking at the wrong." -- Willie Dixon