Re: An error as big as the side of a barn (sort of)

Subject: Re: An error as big as the side of a barn (sort of)
From: Undetermined origin c/o Postmaster <POSTMASTER -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 13:18:52 EDT

> lamorela -at- cs -dot- hh -dot- ab -dot- com writes:

> Here's a giggle for all you techwhirlers. I'm sure you've run into similar
> things. I've spent the morning comparing an engineer's report with the copy
> I'm
> correcting in my manual. While reading the engineer's document, I came
> across
> this discussion of alarms (short excerpt here):
> ...the bits in this data file...are assigned for alarms only and are not to
> be
> modified in any way. Failure to comply may result in alarming problems.

Kind of along those redundancy lines...

Two terms that get tossed around frequently in my company are "platform"
and "operating system".

I once asked someone to explain to me the difference and they said the
two terms/phrases were synonymous.

Ever since then I've wondered what was meant by the phrase "DOS platform",
a phrase which also gets tossed around in my company. (We're porting to
the DOS platform next week...")

--

kjr
johnr -at- lurch -dot- brs -dot- com

|/ K. John Russell \||/ \|
| Dataware Technologies, Inc. || My dog jumped out a window! |
| 5 Computer Drive South || Six stories to the patio below. |
| Albany, New York 12205 || I loved that dog. |
|\ (518) 435-4025 /||\ /|