Name for Help

Subject: Name for Help
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 15:58:00 -0700

I developers of the system I am documenting a system have added single
line descriptions of the menu item, screen object, etc. along the bottom of
the current window. Although this information is context sensitive (the
message describes the object the mouse is currently pointing to) and it is
helpful-- "context-sensitive help" sounds overblown for the amount of
information provided.

I know other systems have this type of help. What do you call it when
describing it to users, in the manual for example?


Mary Ann
Sounds like what Macintrash calls "Balloon Help". When the
cursor points at a menu item a cartoon-like balloon appears
with a short description of the item's function. This is
pretty handy when you are learning your way around, but soon
comes to be annoying -- thankfully it can be toggled OFF.


Previous by Author: ISO
Next by Author: Technique Magazine
Previous by Thread: Name for Help
Next by Thread: Re: Name for Help

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads