Adobe side note

Subject: Adobe side note
From: Shannon Ford - Technical Writer <shannon -at- UNIFACE -dot- ALAMEDA -dot- CA -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 16:54:08 -0700

From: Mike Christie <mikec -at- SYNTEL -dot- COM>

<snip>

My company distributes 4 manuals ranging from 100 to 350 pages in length. I am
considering proposing we make the manuals available to customers in .PDF
format, and license the reader to ship with it. This would have several
advantages:

<snip>

Just a side note about postscript files. I may have mentioned this already
in a previous post, so forgive me for nattering on.

Beware that if the only method you use for distributing docs is with
postsript files (like Acrobat files), you may be locking blind users
out of the product. This is because the translation (text to speech)
programs available today cannot read these files.

This might be more relevent to people distributing docs to the great
wide consumer market; if you have a small niche customer base, you
probably already know if you have users with special needs.

If you *are* distributing to the great wide consumer market, you might
consider providing an alternate distribution method.

Yours,

shannon
shannon -at- uniface -dot- alameda -dot- ca -dot- us