Re: SQL pronunciation

Subject: Re: SQL pronunciation
From: Janet Valade <jvalade -at- JUPITER -dot- CALSTATELA -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 13:00:02 -0600

>This issue is a bit fuzzy in my mind, but here's my 2 cents:

>the relational database gurus around here, as far as I can
>tell, always utter the letters S-Q-L, never "sequel."

Just to add more confusion: I was confused by the start of this thread
because I never had heard Sequel, always S-Q-L. So, I asked our database
person (who says S-Q-L) and he says this is not settled in the database
world. He used to work for INGRES and they always say S-Q-L. I checked my
Ingres manual and, sure enough, it says "an SQL command". The database
person here has also worked with Oracle, and they say Sequel. His opinion is
that it is Oracle that started the "sequel" pronounciation and has pushed
it, but other vendors say S-Q-L. He says it has been varied, but he believes
that S-Q-L is winning, that S-Q-L is more commonly heard now.

So, that is one database administrator's opinion

Janet
jvalade -at- calstatela -dot- edu