Updating Multiple Document

Subject: Updating Multiple Document
From: Karen Steele <karen -at- BILBO -dot- SUITE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 07:50:43 -0500

Gordon Meyer sez:
> Anne - Updating multiple documents would be possible under Apple's
> System 7. It's called "publish and subscribe". I understand that
> Windows 4.0 (Chicago) will have something similar but I can't say for
> certain as I only use Windows because I'm paid to do so. It's not my
> religion. :-) Unfortunately, finding a similar system that works
> cross-platform (you mentioned Windows and Unix) might not be easy.

Give FrameMaker a try. It works beautifully across a variety of platforms (we
trade NeXT,
DOS/Windows & Mac disks in this office). And the book-building feature makes
udating multiple
documents a breeze.

In fact, we use conditional text to describe platform-specific information, and
then just turn on the
document we need. For example, the Operations chapter for VMS, SunOS, NeXT, and
HP all reside
inside the same document. We just "turn on" the version we want.

If you want more information on how to do this, message me offline & I'll send
you more.

Karen "I rent by the hour" Steele