Re: Headers, Footers, & Page Nbrs.

Subject: Re: Headers, Footers, & Page Nbrs.
From: "Bonni J. Graham" <bgraham -at- ELECTRICITI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1994 09:10:29 PST

I use both headers and footers in my curricula, although I used footers only
for most of my other clients.

In the curricula, I use the following as the recto header (reversed for
verso):
Level X
Lesson X

and footer:
[product name, e.g., Microsoft Project Version 3.0]
#

In the manuals I use the following for the recto footer (reversed...etc.):
[product name -- book name]
#
(e.g, Assessment Management System -- Network Guide)

I feel that the information most useful for identifying the correct page
should be on the outside of the page, as close to the edge as possible.
For example, in my indexes, I include a header even if the rest of the book
doesn't use one. I put the letter range to be found on the page at the
outside edge of the page.

Headers and footers are location clues, just like indexes (yes, this is a
valid alternate spelling) and TOCs. Use what's necessary to help the
reader find what they're looking for and to identify where they are in the
book. One thing I try to avoid is a multi-line header or footer (which is
why I sometimes use both). It's too easy to bury the important info if
there's more than one line of text.

I think the footer you've designed is informative and too the point, which
is how it should be, IMO (I'm not particularly humble, so why pretend?
<grin>).

Bonni Graham
Manual Labour
Director, Region 8 Conference