Re: How do You use the WWW?

Subject: Re: How do You use the WWW?
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 14:41:39 CDT

> So, if you currently make use of WWW, please briefly state
> the way you use it and why you find it beneficial (if you do).

We considered using WWW as a help viewer. Since it is available on pretty
much every platform, has nice hypertext facilities, graphics, etc., it
would do fairly well. Since you also have the option of having your
distributed help file link to a WWW server at your home site, you could
use WWW to do lots of neat stuff like automatic updates, etc.

Despite the advantages of such a model for distributing updates and such,
we chose not to use WWW as part of our product. Primarily, Windows people
want help that looks like Windows help, Mac people want MacHelp stuff,
X people like HyperHelp, etc. That is, native help platforms seem
to "look better" to people who use only a single platform.

Also note that WWW viewers (to my knowledge) are not commercial products.
If you include a WWW viewer as part of your product, YOU inherit all its
bugs and short comings.

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?