Re: How do You use the WWW?

Subject: Re: How do You use the WWW?
From: Jonathan Lavigne <jpl -at- LYRA -dot- STANFORD -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 05:43:59 GMT

LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com> writes:

>So, if you currently make use of WWW, please briefly state
>the way you use it and why you find it beneficial (if you do).

Right now, we're using the Web mostly for descriptions of our products and
for other kind of things that are usually read just once, rather than
referred to again and again. For an Internet application I'm working on now,
I'm also looking to put up something akin to the Microsoft "knowledgebases"
you find on CompuServe and in stand-alone help files -- a database of
specific questions and answers that might be too detailed, or
hardware-specific, or otherwise ephemeral to go into printed docs or even help
files that are distributed with a product. I think the Web is great for that
kind of publication. I'm less sure that's it viable at the moment for
documentation that people need to refer to frequently. I would think users
would have an easier time using a Windows help file, for example, than trying
to depend on Mosaic for Windows over an uncertain network connection.

Incidentally, I set up several different kinds of search interfaces to our
Web pages and gathered a few informal notes (including hypertext links of
course) about the sources I used. The notes are not as complete as I'd like,
especially on security issues, which I'm told can be a problem, but some of
you might find them a useful starting point if you're running the NCSA server
(or maybe CERN's too) and want to give search access to your Web pages. The
URL is http://www-rlg.stanford.edu/home/jpl/websearch.html.
Jonathan Lavigne BL -dot- JPL -at- RLG -dot- STANFORD -dot- EDU
Research Libraries Group/Stanford University