Re: Need an attractive name

Subject: Re: Need an attractive name
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 08:39:17 CDT

|} It contains the instructions for installing from scratch and for
|} upgrading an existing installation. It contains the bug-list.
|} It contains all the revisions we should have made to the manual
|} since the manual's last printing. It's three to umpteen
|} stapled-together sheets. It's a pain in the poopick. It's,
|} yes, the Release Notes.
|}
|} Folks, does someone have a better name for this document?

We used to use the name ``Release Notes'' until we started putting
installation material in them, then we changed it to ``Foo Bar Baz
Release x.xx Getting Started.'' Known generically by those in love
TLAs (three letter accronyms) as GSGs, they usually contain two
short chapters, ``Getting Started With the Foo Bar Baz,'' which is
installation instructions and the like, and ``What's New in Release
x.xx,'' which is your traditional release note stuff.

Not exactly Earth shattering kaboom!, but it works.

/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "She understood, as he did, that all writing
was infernally boring and futile, but that it had to be done out of respect
for tradition" --Stanislaw Lem