Word's Fast Save Feature

Subject: Word's Fast Save Feature
From: "Nancy S. Burns" <nburns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 09:38:58 -0825

On Friday, July 22, Eric J. Ray <ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu> wrote the
following re Word's Fast Save feature:

> "To turn FAST SAVE off, go to Tools, then Options, then
click on the SAVE tab. Uncheck the Fast Save box, and
click OK.

>I would strongly recommend that everyone do this. The
difference between a full and fast save is
insignificant in terms of time, but very important if
anything should go wrong with your file. We've had
people here (at the Help Desk) who have lost part or
all of their thesis or dissertation because of using
Fast Save and being a little unlucky. Microsoft tech
support recommends against Fast Saves, at least for
Word 2.0x.

>BTW, Pagemaker is the same about fast saves, and
equally dangerous."

I support Eric's recommendation not to use the Fast Save for Word for the
Mac, as well (I use version 5.1a). According to my manual, Fast Save
stores a list of your file changes on the disk with the file rather than
rearranging all the text in the file. This requires more memory, and
usually more disk space after saving a document a few times. It saves only
a few seconds of time over the "normal save" feature.

Nancy S. Burns
National Solar Observatory
Tucson, Arizona
e-mail: nburns -at- noao -dot- edu

"Writing a poem is taking over the 200-inch telescope carefully focused on
the galaxies born at the beginning of the universe and turning it to look
at a child eating mystery meat and string beans 300 miles away." from
"Incantation to Overcome Writer's Block, Maybe" by Lisa Yount.