Re: Word's Fast Save Feature

Subject: Re: Word's Fast Save Feature
From: "Scott J. Wilson" <scott -at- WWTC -dot- TIMEPLEX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 09:53:40 -0700

Nancy S. Burns wrote:

>I support Eric's recommendation not to use the Fast Save for Word for the
>Mac, as well (I use version 5.1a). According to my manual, Fast Save
>stores a list of your file changes on the disk with the file rather than
>rearranging all the text in the file. This requires more memory, and
>usually more disk space after saving a document a few times. It saves only
>a few seconds of time over the "normal save" feature.

Note, however, that the larger the file, the longer the full save will take
to save.

For example, you could have a ten-page Word file with embedded graphics on
each page that is two megabytes in size. Now it's possible to get around the
size problem using other methods, but the point I want to make is that if
you have such a file, it will take considerably longer to do a full save
than a fast save.

It's a trade off.

Scott J. Wilson
scott -at- wwtc -dot- timeplex -dot- com
310/443-4028