Re: Pre-Norman profanity

Subject: Re: Pre-Norman profanity
From: Sue MacIntosh <sue -at- PAGES -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 09:36:51 -0700

Hi all,

Doug < ENGSTROMDD -at- phibred -dot- com> said:

>>What did the Saxons use for profanity?

Well, I don't know what the Saxons used, but I read a book once about
the use of swearing, obscenities, and profanities through the ages.
It was both interesting and amusing. The book was called
"Bozimacoo!" which is itself a corruption of the French for "Kiss my
ass!" if I remember correctly.

At any rate, a couple of the Elizabethan swear words/oaths/
obscentities were quite amusing. Consider the following:

"A turd in your teeth!"

or

"I fart at thee!"

I'll have to see if I can dig up that book...!

Sue