Re: ellipses

Subject: Re: ellipses
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 1994 12:51:40 -0700

Segal, Betty S. said:
> What do vertical ellipses look like?

Like
> (1) . . . to show that part of a sentence has been omitted.>

except vertical. The only reason that I would use vertical ellipses
instead of horizontal ellipses is to indicate ellipted lines of
programming. The programming is really a vertical series rather than a
horizontal series like sentences.

You know, it just occurred to me that I've been working with Japanese
for over 20 years and have no idea how ellipses are indicated. (This
isn't really a non-sequitur--Japanese is written vertically.)

Oh, and another point--isn't it ... for an ellipsis rather than . . .?

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com